Other symptoms I encountered:
- Select All option in Organize button is disabled (greyed)
- Select All option in Edit menu is disabled (greyed)
- Mouse highlight over and drag does not work.
I ran a search through the Internet and found out that some people were facing a similar problem. There were some suggestions to do a Reset on the folders but that didn't work for me.
I contacted my IT support and they said they have not received any reports on this before and therefore, could not provide me with a solution. Nothing showed up when I checked support.microsoft.com. Looks like I have no choice but to contact our 'MCS Vista grandmaster'.
This morning I received an e-mail detailing a fix. This is what you can do to bring Explorer back to its sanity.
- Open Regedit
- Navigate to HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\
- Delete the Bags & BagMRU keys
If you did the above and it doesn't work, try killing the Explorer process first and then run RegEdit.exe from Taskmgr to delete the keys. Reboot your system after that.
Disclaimer: If you don't know what's all that, don't do it ya. Messing with the registry is no play play.